Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Education 132: Initial Reactions

1. Initial Reaction of the class:

When I signed up to take the class Education 132 I figured it would be a lot like the other education classes that I have taken. Going into the class I did not really know what to expect, but I was happy with the result. I found that not only is he going teach us, but challenge us as future educators. One part that really opened my eyes to Kruse as a professors is when he told us why he decided to teach college students instead of staying at the secondary level. When he said that it was hard for him to see students learn from him and then move onto a teacher that did not put as much passion into their work. I believe that teachers can make a huge difference in the world, and by him admitting that he wants to make better teachers conveyed to me how strongly he feels about education. This statement alone is one reason why I am excited for what I am going to learn from this class. I do feel like the syllabus and grading is a little overwhelming, but I think it is because I am not used to it yet. Overall I am really excited for this class and everything that I am going to learn from it.

2. What, if anything, will keep you lecturing?

I believe the one thing that would keep me lecturing is it being an easy fall back. It would be much easier to stand in front of the class and lecture them about something that I have already mastered. It will take a lot more work to come up with fun and engaging lessons for the students to be involved in. I definitely do not want to take the easy way out with teaching and I believe that is what lecturing is. If most of my colleagues lecture in their classes, I will have to remind myself that I don't need to do the same old thing that they are doing, even if most of them oppose to it.

3. Three questions about the syllabus:

-How are you going to incorporate our practicum into the class, besides the recorded video?
-Is our final grade only based on our knowledge of the standards?
-Is there more homework besides the main projects?

No comments:

Post a Comment